Monday, March 5, 2018

What You Can Do Is Enough

I was going to write a post about villains today. Then I realized I already wrote that post and had forgotten about it, and got frustrated because, well'p, there went my idea for the weekly post. And then I got even more frustrated when I realized that I would, yet again, be going without a Monday blog post like I always promise I'm going to do and yet never actually get to.

And then I just kind of fell into a loop of being annoyed at myself for never being able to do all the things I want to do.

Which, as a disabled person, is a loop I'm all too familiar with. And it sucks.

So here we are, 10:58 PM on a Monday night, and I'm here to tell you some things that none of us get told nearly often enough:

The things you can do are enough. You don't have to do more than you are capable of. You don't have to be productive. You don't have to be constantly at work. "Do your best" does not mean "force yourself beyond your own capabilities."

It's okay to get frustrated with yourself. It's okay to get upset at the world we live in for pushing the idea that if you're not being productive, you're doing something wrong. Because it's all bullshit, y'all--we live in a world that tries to enforce arbitrary ideas on what's "normal" and "acceptable" and "admirable."

You don't have to run yourself into the ground because society tells you it's the Done Thing.

It's okay to half-ass things. It's okay to leave them un-done. It's okay to know and respect your own limits and boundaries and needs.

What you can do is good enough.

I'm going to go play Sims now. Take it easy.

'Til next time,
Jenn.

No comments:

Post a Comment